My plant setup for interested folks :
- Two pots – one plant each; I have used 2.5G buckets.
- Organic soil mixed with compost
- Choose an appropriate variety. I chose the smaller one as I’m using smaller pots ( “Dhol” variety ) and don’t have an infrastructure to hold heavy veggies
- Trellis – grabbed it for free from a spring/fall cleaning
- 4 ft space ( Now that it’s growing, I think at least 5-6ft horizontally and 8ft vertically. If it grows too big, we can contain it by pruning )
- Plenty Sunlight ( atleast for 5-6 hours )
- Plenty Water
Will keep updated.
5-Jul-2018 : Seedlings emerged. Not sure when I sowed the seeds.
9-Sep-2018 : First squash harvest
12-Sep-2018 : Tending to think one plant would be enough. They are branching out everywhere.
14-Sep-2018 : Second squash harvested. Have a couple of pollinated flowers on the vines.